Vyrnwy Aqueduct Modernisation Program – July 2024 update

United Utilities have recently issued an update on the Peckforton Hall Lane Closure as folows:-

Peckforton Hall Lane Road Closure has been extended and there is still some signage due to the extension. We are not closing the road as such, as everything will be managed locally through chapter 8 signage. Therefore, there will not be any barriers to stop people from gaining access but there will be signs at the end of the lane. The permit extension is for approximately 4 weeks and

once the road closure has expired, we will be in contact to confirm it is fully open again.

As the notification says, the road will not be closed but there will be signs at each end of the lane relating to the work.

I trust this is clear, but don’t hesitate to get in contact with either me or Chris should you have any questions.

Neil Dyer

Chair, Peckforton Parish Meeting

Neil Dyer has been re-elected as Chair

At a well-attended Annual Parish Meeting, Neil Dyer was unanimously re-elected as Chair of Peckforton Parish Meeting for the year to May 2025

Vyrnwy Aqueduct Modernisation Program – April 2024 update

Dear Parish members

 Please see the below email from United Utilities relating to the upcoming closure of Peckforton Hall Lane.

 As you will note the road is expected to be closed for a period of approximately 8 weeks between Peckforton farm and Peckforton Hall Barns. It is hoped that the road may be opened during periods of low activity at the end of May and then closed again to complete the work. There will be pedestrian access throughout.

 The below provides the full details together with details of diversion routes etc.

 Should you have any questions don’t hesitate to either contact United Utilities direct or else email Chris and/or me on the Parish email addresses: –

 Kind regards

Neil Dyer – Chair Peckforton Parish Meeting

The text of United Utilities original letter is below, or you can download it and the map that Harry refers to at :

Temporary road closure on Peckforton Hall Lane Vyrnwy Aqueduct Modernisation Programme

Thank you for your patience as we’ve been carrying out work to modernise the Vyrnwy aqueduct in your area.  We’re getting in touch to let you know that we’re due to begin the next stage of work within the highway along Peckforton Hall Lane, Tarporley.  

What will our work involve?

From Friday 3 May 2024, we will need to temporarily close Peckforton Hall Lane and we expect this work will take up to eight weeks to complete.  

There will be a diversion route in place to safely direct vehicles along the A49, onto Wrexham Road (A534) and along Stone House Lane. There will be no restrictions to residential access and, where possible, we will aim to re-open the road during periods of inactivity in our work programme. Latest information will be available at

Keeping in touch

We understand road closures can be inconvenient. Our team will be working closely with those who may be impacted and will do all they can to minimise any disruption. Don’t worry, your water and wastewater services will not be affected and can be used as normal. We’ll continue to provide updates as our work progresses.

If you have any questions or would like to book a meeting with a member of our team, please get in touch. You can call us on 0345 672 3723 quoting project number 80063071.01, contact us via our social media channels or complete the feedback form on our virtual exhibition site at which can also be accessed using the QR code below.

Thank you,

Customer Services Team

United Utilities Water Limited

PO Box 453


WA55 1SE

Telephone: 0345 672 3723

Peckforton and Beeston Village Hall Please don’t forget to support the events held at the hall as they help to keep it financially viable. .

The hall is also available to hire at very reasonable rates for private parties, meetings and groups. Visit for more information or follow us on Facebook (

Topics for discussion with Strutt and Parker and the Peckforton Estate

In line with the recent discussions at the Peckforton Parish Meeting, Neil is meeting with Strutt & Parker and the Peckforton Estate Manager to discuss their plans for the area and how we can mutually work together to the benefit of all concerned. As Neil indicated amongst other things, he plans to raise the subject of the maintenance of land, hedges etc. that has historically been carried out by the Estate. If people are aware of any items of this nature can you please email him and me at:- and

As discussed in the meeting we need to restrict this to items that have historically been carried out by the estate and not items we would like them to do.

Please let us know no later than Friday 22nd September.

Many thanks

Chris Jones

Clerk to Peckforton Parish Meeting

Please follow this link for Cheshire Constabulary’s latest report

2023 Tour of Britain – Coming to Peckforton on the 4th September 2023

Here’s a link to the Tour of Britain video of the 2023 race – our area is shown at about 02:15

The Tour of Britain is scheduled to be passing through Peckforton, along Stonehouse Lane between 12:45 and 13:10 on the 4th September.

There will be some disruption to travel – for details see their website

Please see below for an email received this week from John Dwyer Police & Crime Commissioner for Cheshire, whilst some may feel that this is not a huge thing in Peckforton, others may feel that it is an issue for residents. The link to the survey is in Mr Dwyer’s email below.

Dear Stakeholder,

I made sure that preventing and tackling Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) is in Cheshire’s Police and Crime Plan because it is one of the main issues raised with me and the police. While some incidents of ASB on their own can be seen as small and ‘low level’, we know all too well that sustained and persistent ASB can make residents feel unsafe, and perpetrators can often go on to commit greater crimes.

The next round of the Safer Streets Fund will focus on ASB and I want to use any additional money we receive to support a police project to tackle it in each of Cheshire’s four Local Authority areas.

To inform these projects I will be using ASB statistics collated by the Constabulary, but it’s also important to get feedback directly from residents about how they perceive ASB in their community and how extra funding could help.

I have set up a short survey which can be taken here: – Residents can have their say up until Midday on Monday 7th August.

Please do share this throughout your networks and communities. The more feedback we get, the more effectively we can use any additional funding.

As ever, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with any questions or other issues.

Best Wishes


Office of the Police & Crime Commissioner

The Tour of Britain is coming to Peckforton on the 4th September !!

For details, please follow the link below – from the map below it looks as if the peloton could be passing your front door !,

The link to the Tour of Britain’s main website is below.

The Tour of Britain uses a rolling road closure which means there will be no full road closures.  You can find out more about the how the rolling road closure works here: Tour of Britain | Road closures.

Please see the map below, or for more detail, follow this link to their detailed Google map


Bolesworth Estate Planning Application

A number of members of the Parish Meeting have brought to our attention the recent planning application lodged by Bolesworth Estate in relation to the change of use of the former school and schoolmaster’s house at Harthill into a food and drink premises . The Parish Meeting will be writing to Cheshire West and Chester Planning department (in support of local Parish Council’s impacted by this proposed development), to record our concerns about the development both in relation to it’s impact on the local environment and also that this should be considered in the wider context of the Bolesworth Estate’s ‘Bolesworth Strategy’ for the area. Should you wish to make personal representations to Cheshire West and Chester Planning, the planning reference is 23/01923.

Neil Dyer Elected as Chair of Peckforton Parish Meeting

At the special meeting held on 11th July 2023, Neil Dyer was unanimously elected Chair of Peckforton Parish Meeting. He will take over the address in the next few days, so please use that address to contact him.

Neil says :-

“Lesley and I have lived in the area for nearly 30 years. Originally in Bunbury we moved to Peckforton in July 2015 and feel very privileged to live in such a great place and amongst such friendly people.

As I said in the meeting, I feel it is important that bodies such as Parish Meetings and Parish Councils do continue as these provide us with a platform to have a voice on local matters. It’s for this reason I stepped up to take on the role of chair.

John and Chris have done a great job over the last year or so and we have momentum on a number of fronts. For me I think it’s a case of continuing to build on this and to work on the list of community priorities that came out of the survey John did when he took over. I need time to get my head around where things stand, but from a quick review of meeting minutes it seems priorities should sit with road safety and speed, maintaining an emphasis on improving our local environment (verges, land clearance, ensuring things settle down well post the tree felling, etc. etc.), working with the Village Hall and keeping on top of the United Utilities work to ensure we have no surprises, and of course ‘The Buzzard’!!

I look forward to the challenge and to working with the people of Peckforton.”






  1. The proposed recipient should be resident in one of the constituent parishes or be an organisation active in providing benefit for the residents of one or more of the constituent parishes.
  2. A grant may be made to a recipient who is in financial difficulties, particularly where the difficulties are adversely affecting a child or elderly person.
  3. A grant may be made to assist the education of a child who is being hindered by financial difficulties.
  4. A grant may be made to support a resident, particularly a child, in an activity deemed to be a worthy use of the charity – for example to help the recipient undertake an extracurricular educational project, to participate in a charitable project or to learn skills to assist that resident in finding work.
  5. A grant may be made to support an organisation providing support within the constituent parishes, for example providing clubs/group activity for the young and the elderly, support groups for the elderly, assistance for the disabled or disadvantaged, and groups providing hospital transport, respite care and home support.


Notice Board

On Thursday afternoon (22nd June) as I was putting some documents onto the Parish Noticeboard, as I swung open the door, the rotting legs finally failed, and broke.

Fortunately it fell fairly slowly towards me, and I was able to catch it without damage,

The box is now leaning against the hedge, and we will consider what is the safest and easiest way of effecting a permanent repair as soon as possible.

May I encourage you not to move it, as it is quite heavy, and we need to avoid injury or damage to the noticeboard itself.


Chris Jones

Clerk to Peckforton Parish Meeting

Dear resident,

The Parishes of Peckforton and Beeston are coming together to celebrate the Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III on Sunday 7 May 2023.

You, along with family, friends and neighbours, are warmly invited to come along to a celebratory picnic lunch, taking place between 1pm and 5pm at Peckforton and Beeston Village Hall, Stone House Lane, Peckforton, organised by the Village Hall Committee on the behalf of the local community.

There will be a fun quiz, music and a raffle, along with games and activities for children, including the chance to post a message to the future residents of the village in a commemorative time capsule, which we will bury in the garden of the Hall at 4pm.

Admission is free but we are asking everyone to bring a picnic to enjoy with friends and neighbours.

We will also be serving beer, wine, tea, coffee and soft drinks to help raise funds for the Village Hall so, if possible, please leave your own drink at home and bring some cash along on the day. This will help us meet our ever-increasing running costs and maintain the village hall as a facility for all.

If you are able to register your attendance on this free ticket link, it would help us with numbers but it’s not essential. We’re anticipating a good turnout, as we had at The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee last summer, so we’ll be putting out plenty of tables and chairs.

Look forward to seeing you next Sunday for what we hope will be a lovely community celebration for this historic event.

Thank you,

John Doyle


Notice of Borough Election – please follow the link below for the full version of Cheshire East’s Document


Cheshire East Borough Council

Election of Borough Councillors

Notice is hereby given that an election is to be held for Borough Councillors for the following wards:

(The number of councillors to be elected for each particular ward is shown in brackets after the ward name)

Alderley Edge (1), Alsager (3), Audlem (1), Bollington (2), Brereton Rural (1), Broken Cross and Upton (2), Bunbury (1), Chelford (1), Congleton East (3), Congleton West (3), Crewe Central (1), Crewe East (3), Crewe North (1), Crewe South (2), Crewe St Barnabas (1), Crewe West (2), Dane Valley (2), Disley (1), Gawsworth (1), Handforth (2), Haslington (2),

High Legh (1), Knutsford (3), Leighton (1), Macclesfield Central (2), Macclesfield East (1), Macclesfield Hurdsfield (1), Macclesfield South (2), Macclesfield Tytherington (2), Macclesfield West and Ivy (2), Middlewich (3), Mobberley (1), Nantwich North and West (2), Nantwich South and Stapeley (2), Odd Rode (2), Poynton East and Pott Shrigley (2),

Poynton West and Adlington (2), Prestbury (1), Sandbach Elworth (1), Sandbach Ettiley Heath and Wheelock (1), Sandbach Heath and East (1), Sandbach Town (1), Shavington (1), Sutton (1), Willaston and Rope (1),

Wilmslow Dean Row (1), Wilmslow East (1), Wilmslow Lacey Green (1), Wilmslow West and Chorley (2), Wistaston (2), Wrenbury (1), Wybunbury (1).

  1. Nomination papers must be hand-delivered to the Returning Officer, Elections Team, Ground Floor, Westfields, Middlewich Road, Sandbach, Cheshire CW11 1HZ, on any day from the date of publication of this notice; Monday to Friday between 9.30 a.m. and 5.00 p.m. (excluding bank holidays) but NOT LATER THAN 4.00 p.m. on Tuesday 4 April 2023.
  • Nomination papers may be obtained in person from the Returning Officer, either from the address in paragraph 1. above, or from the Elections Team, Macclesfield Town Hall, Market Place, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK10 1EA during the dates and times stated above.  Written requests must be sent to the Elections Office, Macclesfield Town Hall, c/o Municipal Buildings, Earle Street, Crewe, Cheshire, CW1 2BJ.
  • If any election is contested, the poll will take place on Thursday 4 May 2023 between the hours of 7.00 a.m. and 10.00 p.m.
  • Applications to register to vote must reach the Electoral Registration Officer by 12 midnight on Monday 17 April 2023.  Applications can be made online:
  • Applications to vote by post and requests to cancel or change an existing postal or proxy vote must reach the Electoral Registration Officer, either by hand at the Elections Office, Macclesfield Town Hall, Market Place, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 1EA, or by post at the Elections Office, Macclesfield Town Hall, c/o Municipal Buildings, Earle Street, Crewe, Cheshire, CW1 2BJ by 5.00 p.m. on Tuesday 18 April 2023 if they are to be effective for this election.  You must allow sufficient time for posted applications to be received in the Elections Office by the deadline.
  • Applications for a Voter Authority Certificate or an Anonymous Elector’s Document valid for this election must reach the Electoral Registration Officer by 5pm on Tuesday 25 April 2023.  Applications can be made online:
  • New applications to vote by proxy at this election must reach the Electoral Registration Officer, either by hand at the Elections Office, Macclesfield Town Hall, Market Place, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 1EA, or by post at the Elections Office, Macclesfield Town Hall, c/o Municipal Buildings, Earle Street, Crewe, Cheshire, CW1 2BJ by 5.00 p.m. on Tuesday 25 April 2023 if they are to be effective for this election.  You must allow sufficient time for posted applications to be received in the Elections Office by the deadline.
  • Applications to vote by emergency proxy at this election must reach the Electoral Registration Officer, either by hand at the Elections Office, Macclesfield Town Hall, Market Place, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 1EA, or by post at the Elections Office, Macclesfield Town Hall, c/o Municipal Buildings, Earle Street, Crewe, Cheshire, CW1 2BJ by 5.00pm on Thursday 4 May 2023 if they are to be effective for this election.  You must allow sufficient time for posted applications to be received in the Elections Office by the deadline.  

Dated: 27 March 2023 Returning Officer

*Explanatory Note regarding our office address

Delivery of Nominations – Nominations MUST be hand-delivered to the Returning Officer, Ground Floor, Westfields, Middlewich Road, Sandbach, Cheshire, CW11 1HZ between the dates and times shown on the Notice of Election.

Delivery of applications to register to vote, to vote by post or by proxy – These forms can be hand delivered to the Electoral Registration Officer, Ground Floor, Macclesfield Town Hall, Market Place, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 1EA.  If you choose to post these forms the address to which to post them is the Electoral Registration Officer, Macclesfield Town Hall, c/o Municipal Buildings, Earle Street, Crewe, Cheshire, CW1 2BJ, but you must ensure that you allow sufficient time for posted applications to be received in the Elections Office by the relevant deadline for each type of application.


The Peckforton Buzzard has been removed due to advanced decay, and the whole structure will be removed soon.

We have applied to the National Lottery for funds, but need to raise  £1,100.00 from within the community.  

Through 10 kind donations we have received so far, we have raised £420.00 and a donation of a high-value prize which we will raffle. Thank you all

We need to raise a further £750.00 from the community to reach our community target contribution.  If you can spare a donation to the Buzzard Fund please contact Chris the Parish Clerk to let him know your intention, and make a transfer to the Parish Bank account- details below.

Account Peckforton Parish Meeting Account
BankBarclays Bank
Account Number10706256
Sort Code 20 24 09
Reference: Peckforton Buzzard

Thanking you in advance

 John Doyle   Chris Jones

Dear all in the village,

As you may know we need to replace the Buzzard due to its significant deterioration. The Parish Meeting is making an application to the National Lottery Fund for a grant for a large % of the total costs. However, we still need as a community to contribute to the project. The Parish Meeting will be making a donation of £300.00 which is all we can afford. We will also approach the Estate

We are asking members of the community to make a donation to the Buzzard replacement fund. Read on…

Buzzard Up Date

In preparing for the replacement of the Buzzard (Parish Meetings decisions 20/12 and 2/2), we did a re-check on its state. The photo shows that it has significantly deteriorated since December It is in imminent danger of partially collapsing.

Next Steps  

The decision by the Parish Meeting to replace it has come none-too-soon.   It is likely that we will need to remove some or all of the Buzzard very soon as parts of it are falling off already and it will soon become an eyesore. We do not know if we will be successful with the Lottery grant but we can proceed with the removal of the Buzzard and, when we have sufficient funds ,(either from the Lottery or local fund raising), we will replace it. It is unlikely to be replaced by the Coronation in May but we can try!   


The Parish Meeting is asking community members to make donations to be deposited in the Parish Bank account. We already have had £150.00 of promised donations but we need to raise about

£1,000. We can make immediate use of donated funds for materials, removal and making the site safe etc. Although the size of any donated sum will be kept confidential, the Parish Meeting will find a way of recognising the donor’s kind contributions to the replacement of the Buzzard – unless, of course,  they ask for anonymity.

The Parish would appreciate it if donors contacted the Parish Clerk and Chair as soon as possible indicating their intention to donate and the sum they will kindly donate.  Details of the bank account are provided below.

Account Peckforton Parish Meeting Account
BankBarclays Bank
Account Number10706256
Sort Code 20 24 09
Reference: Peckforton Buzzard

Thanking you in advance

 John Doyle   Chris Jones

Beeston and Peckforton Coronation Lunch – a letter from The Peckforton & Beeston Village Hall Committee

Dear residents,

The Parishes of Peckforton and Beeston are coming together to celebrate the Coronation of His Majesty King Charles on Sunday 7 May 2023.

Along with communities all over the country we will be taking part in The Big Lunch, an annual event that brings neighbours together in a fun and informal way, but with a special reason to celebrate this year.

Our own Big Lunch takes place between 1pm and 5pm at Peckforton and Beeston Village Hall, Stone House Lane, Peckforton. There will be a fun quiz, music and a raffle, along with games and activities for children, including the chance to post a message to the future residents of the villages in a commemorative time capsule, which we will bury in the garden of the Hall at 4pm on the day. 

Admission is free but we are asking everyone to bring a picnic to enjoy with friends and neighbours. 

We will also be serving beer, wine, tea, coffee and soft drinks to help raise funds for the Village Hall so if possible, please leave your own drink at home and bring some cash along on the day. This will help us meet our ever-increasing running costs and maintain the village hall as a facility for all. 

To help us with numbers and planning, please complete this very quick survey to let us know if you plan to attend this historic occasion!

The survey will close at 5pm on Friday 10 March.

We are also really keen to have a few more people to help out on the day and with the preparation so if you can spare an hour or two, please let us know using the survey form.

We will be in touch again in a few weeks’ time with more details.

Thank you,

The Peckforton & Beeston Village Hall Committee

United Utilities have sent the message below :-

Vyrnwy Aqueduct Modernisation Programme (VAMP) – We’re holding community drop in sessions in your area

In preparation for starting out main construction programme of work on the Vyrnwy Aqueduct Modernisation Programme, we’re planning to hold a number of community drop in sessions throughout February and March 2023 – Come along to find out more about our work to modernise sections of our aqueduct in your area.

Community drop-in’s are an opportunity to meet with local residents and stakeholders and at each session, members of our project team will be on hand to answer any queries, listen to valuable feedback, provide an update on our upcoming programme of work and discuss our project in more detail.

Information on the dates and venues for each drop in session can be found on the poster (attached) and we would encourage this information to be shared within your local community, council and with local stakeholders.

Unable to attend our drop in sessions?

If you’re unable to make a session, the latest information on the Malpas to Tarporley section of work can be found online at We’re inviting feedback on our plans and you can have your say through our online feedback form at

 Peckforton Buzzard Replacement

At the Parish meeting on 20th December we agreed to move ahead on the replacement of the village Buzzard statue. The aim is to complete by May 2023 in time for the Coronation – but let us see what progress we make! The working Group to organise this is Mike Watson, Peter Yeomans and John Doyle. However, we want to make this is a community effort – so this is where you come in!

We hope to hold another Parish Meeting at 19:00 on Thursday 2nd February to share the plans in detail for information.  In the meantime, we need to get cracking. We have already secured the support of the Estate, and have drawings and plans. We aim to bring the cost to a minimum by using as much free labour as possible for the construction and to obtain donations of materials and borrow tools where we can. Can you help?


There are various materials which we will probably need to purchase; green oak for the carving, (obtained), foundation materials, (sand, lime cement, crush, wood preservative, epoxy resin etc).  We will purchase these unless you contact me with offers   

The following are those major items we aim to achieve by donation:   


We need 100 blocks x circa 20-25 CMs each. However, we will take larger sizes and cut them down where required. Please let me know of you have any to donate.

The base/plinth is approx. 1 m x 1m x 25 cms deep. We may be able to work with a larger piece.

Steel reinforcing bar to secure Buzzard to structure about 30cms long


Buzzard carver – obtained Peter Garner

Foundations laying – at least one knowledgeable person and another strong helper!

Sandstone tower builder –  if no offers locally we will purchase this from a local experienced builder


Cement mixer

Mini digger

Wacker plate/hammer

Tractor for tree removal – obtained – Alan Parsons

Trailer and Vehicle with tow bar

      Next Steps

To offer help please contact me at the email or phone number below – before the end of January if possible. Thanks  John Doyle. 01829 260426


Manor Farm, on Peckforton Hall Lane, is a place many of us get our fresh milk. It is home to a special breed of cattle – the Meuse Rhine Issel, (MRI) which have a dual purpose (robust dairy cows and good quality bull and crossbred calves). And they play a part in an innovative project that is happening locally which you may be interested in!

At the Peckforton Parish meeting on 20th December Jacqueline Capewell of Manor Farm, invited residents of Peckforton to an organised visit to the farm on a Sunday in April -see here for details of the farm

The tour will be of interest to adults and children alike and will include a guided tour of the farm, ‘meeting’ some of the cattle and a tour of the land to see the changes they have made and plan to make in the future.

If you are interested in coming please let me know soon as numbers will be limited on the day. There is a form below which would be good to have returned before the end of January if possible please. When we have numbers and a date I will get back to you with more information.

I am interested in the free tour on a Sunday in April (date to be announce).

My Name

My Email

No of Adults:

No of Children

Please return to

John Doyle

As we near the end of 2022, we are writing to provide you with an update on our progress so far on the Vyrnwy Aqueduct Modernisation Project, and share an update on our programme of works for 2023.

Update on our project progress and programme

From October 2022, we started to carry out essential upfront preparation work in Area 01 which involved the installation of sampling points, preparation of temporary working areas and preparing temporary haul roads and have continued to progress on this work in Area 02. From January 2023, we expect that this work will commence in Area 03 and we have been co-ordinating work with those landowners and stakeholders impacted.

Once complete, our temporary working areas will remain in place ready for the main construction activity, so there will be a period of time when there is no work taking place. However, we will need to return to all of our working locations prior to the main construction element of our work to create/alter access points in line with our planning proposals and we will write to those affected by this work in advance.

Please find a copy of the letter (attached) that has been distributed to local residents in the area to inform them of our upcoming working locations.

As for our overall programme of work, I have provided a summary below that details our current programme for completing the necessary upfront work, cleaning and re-lining elements of our project in Area 03 – We expect the main construction elements of work to start from Summer 23 in Area 03.  

Area 03 Programme:

Upfront Preparation workCleaning (Line 3)Lining (Line 1)Lining (Line 2)
Early 2023 (January – February)Summer 2023Autumn 2023Autumn 2024

Prior to our main construction work, we’ll be holding community drop-in sessions in early 2023 where local residents and stakeholders can meet with and discuss the project with members of our team. We are currently working towards dates in each area for February 2023, but will be back in touch early next year with further details once these are confirmed.

Further to our latest meeting with the Parish Council, we discussed updates that will be taking place to our virtual exhibition site in line with the latest changes, planning approvals and updates. These updates can now be expected in early 2023, with continuous development to other update functionality that we discussed, expected prior to our main construction element of work.

We will continue to keep you up to date on our progress and also our programme of works which we are happy to discuss further. However, should you have any immediate questions regarding our project please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team at the following address:,  and we will get back to you shortly.

Finally, I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Kind Regards,

VAMP Stakeholder Team

Harry Caton
Assistant Project Coordinator Network and Capital Delivery

Home Energy Support FundCitizens Advice Cheshire East and North

The Home Energy Support Fund is available to help people who are having difficulty paying for their domestic fuel to feel able to turn their heating on.

Funds have been made available through Cheshire East Council and this is added to by local people making voluntary donations through Just Giving:

To qualify the client must:

  • Be a resident of Cheshire East
  • Be unable to pay their domestic fuel bills
  • Be in short-term hardship causing a suspension of any regular income, eg. loss of employment, delay or suspension of welfare benefit payment, relationship breakdown etc.
  • Be able to demonstrate that they have contracted with a utility company for domestic fuel.
  • Be prepared to engage with us regarding better value with fuel costs.

The fund will provide a maximum of £100 per household towards heating costs.

Application is through a referral form (see attached) emailed to

Payments will be made by BACs or online to the supplier where possible or through vouchers.

Also below are some guides, one which sets out how people can give to the fund and a referrral form.

Jill Walsh MIMA (Cert)

Home Energy Support Fund Manager and Money Advice Caseworker

Home Energy Support Fund Monday and Tuesday 9-5 and Wednesday 9-12:30


Questions forwarded to Peckforton Estate via their agents, Strutt and Parker, from residents of the Parish of Peckforton.

Thank you for your responses to our request for questions to the Peckforton Estate. These have been collated and sent to Strutt and Parker so that they can respond at the next meeting, due to be held on 20th December at 19:00 in the Village Hall.

1 – What is the role of Strutt and Parker for the Estate ?

2 – What is the clear plan and timetable for the restoration of the Village car park? Also for the felled woodland off Stonehouse Lane ?

3 – There are rumours of a housing development on the woodland off Stonehouse Lane.  Please clarify whether the Estate knows anything about this

4 – Are there any other developments planned in the Parish with which Strutt and Parker are involved ?

5 – What is the clear plan and timetable for the proposed commemorative tree replanting to celebrate the Queen’s reign ?

6 – Can you confirm that the Christmas tree plantation to the north and north-west of Peckforton Hall (towards Peckforton Hall Farm) is still due to be felled in the spring of 2023, and that it will be re-planted similarly to the areas already felled.

7 – Residents believe that the number of pheasant shoots have increased, of which residents are not given notice of the dates, times and locations so that they can avoid those particular footpaths at those times. Can the Estate arrange to notify residents about the times and dates of planned shoots, at least a month in advance?

8 – Does the Estate have a health and safety procedure in place for the shoots to avoid risks to the public? Can we have a copy please?

9 – What can residents expect of the behaviours of those taking part in shoots? Is shooting across public rights of way permissible?

10 – Is it the Estate’s policy that the shoot can halt traffic whilst they shoot close by?

11 – What do the Estate do to ensure the Gamekeepers Code is followed by their gamekeepers?

12 – Residents report that Gamekeepers have been saying in the local pubs that they will shoot/kill any dog that goes near their pheasants. What is the Estate’s view on this behaviour and what will it advise its gamekeepers?

13 – Villagers are regularly upset by hearing gun shots at night, which are believed to be the Gamekeepers. Is this shooting by Estate Staff  and if  so, what is the Estate’s policy on this?

14 – Some residents report that Gamekeepers use aggressive and rude language to them when close to, (but not on) Estate shooting areas, which is particularly upsetting to women and children. Can you comment on this, and commit to instructing Estate staff that they must remain calm and polite when interacting with residents and visitors?

 15 – Some time ago ,a resident  requested  a copy of the Estate’s Gamekeeper policy that covers interaction with footpath users, but has not received anything. Would you send a copy to the Chair of the Parish Meeting so that he could share this with the local residents ?

New Bench

The new bench is now in place with the original plaque to the memory of S V Smith.

Peckforton Community Events

From veterans of recent conflicts, and the two World Wars, to those who continue to play a vital role in service to Britain today,whether at home or abroad, Peckforton Parish Meeting will be commemorating military and civilian service on the morning of 11th November 2022.
The Chair of the Parish Meeting will lay a wreath at 10:50 at the Commemorative Poppy Memorial by the Buzzard in the centre of the village, after which, as a sign of the Village’s respect, a minute’s silence will be held at 11:00.
An additional ceremony will take place on Sunday 13th 14.00, to which all will also be very welcome.

There will be lots of events coming up this Autumn, and Christmas approaches !

27th November – Deck the Halls and Trim the Tree!

29th November – Christmas Wreath Workshop with Bramble and Blooms

30th November – Christmas Bingo

11th December – Christmas Party

Please follow the link below for all the details.

Tarporley War Memorial Hospital – Meeting 19:00 6th September

Please find below a link to Beeston Parish Council’s website, with details of a meeting at which Colin Josephs, a member of Tarporley War Memorial Hospital’s Board of Trustees will give a brief update about the Hospital’s plans

Vyrnwy Aqueduct Maintenance Program Update

Good Afternoon,

John Doyle and Mike Harrison (Chairs of Peckforton Parish Meeting and Beeston Parish Council) have recently met Harry Caton, United Utilities’ Assistant Project Coordinator for the VAMP.

Harry has sent the attached document and notes below, which John asked me to share with you.

Thank you both for your time on Tuesday, we hope the session was insightful and that we were able to provide an update on our progress to date, in addition to the immediate/long term actions as we progress into the future. As promised, I have collated the key actions from the meeting below, along with an overarching summary of what was discussed.


UU provided an update on the project, construction techniques and potential impacts.

UU shared the programme and the key interfaces with Area 03 (Beeston/ Peckforton)

Enabling works due to commence from October 2022, however works within Area 03 is likely to be later in 2022/Early 2023.

Main works due to commence from March 2023 (At Malpas) – Works within Area 03 to be later in 2023.

Beeston/Peckforton provided information on various communications channels within the Parish: Social media, ‘My Village News’, other forums.

Beeston/Peckforton raised the point of UU adopting key landmarks within the Parish on any communications to make the comms ‘relevant’ to the area.


Following on from the comments on Project personnel accessing private land without consent, this was escalated and raised internally immediately.

UU to provide update functionality to the UU Hub website and provide a particular notice board specific to updates on Area 03.

UU confirmed next round of communication to Parish/Residents (6 week look ahead)

Update in September to provide an update on the Planning Applications

Update in September and coming months to provide information on the accepted programme

UU raised with Beeston/Peckforton the ability to attend monthly Parish meetings to update on our proposals, work, timeline and impacts.

Ongoing and tailored communication with local residents throughout September/October.

UU to have website URL displayed within the Area 03 board.

UU to share information on the reinstatement spec and provide information on the general level of removal and reinstatement including:

Hedges, trees.

UU to identify historic working areas and provide information/photos of land that was occupied in previous schemes and the time lapse comparison to today to help reassure the Parish Council.

UU to confirm the programme associated to ‘sliplining’ within Area 03 and share the areas that may require sheet piling as part of the temporary works.

Thank you again for your time, it was a really useful session for ourselves and I’m sure this will be the first of many as we progress.

Peckforton Road Safety & Speeding Sub-Committee: Volunteers Needed.

Speeding, road safety and the state of the two local roads, were the over whelming priorities in the recent village survey. The Parish Meeting agreed to re-establish the sub-committee to progress the work it started and submitted to Cheshire East Highways in summer 2021.

John Doyle, (Chair of Peckforton Parish Meeting) is calling for a small but tenacious group, to join him to progress this urgently. Please contact him as soon as possible for a meeting in early September.    Should you need any further information, please contact either the Chair at or the Clerk Chris Jones at

Peckforton Pumping Station

Please see the attached link for a letter from Severn Trent Water

Vyrnwy Aqueduct Maintenance Program

Please see below for a letter from United Utilities – the relevant part of the map that Carly refers to is here :-

Dear Peckforton Parish Meeting,

Following on from our previous communications in April, we are writing to provide you with an update with regards to our Vyrnwy Aqueduct Maintenance Programme.

Since the launch of the Vyrnwy Aqueduct virtual exhibition webpage, we have continued to develop our proposals from the feedback received and we have worked closely with local stakeholders and landowners to confirm the feasibility of our proposals. We are now in the process of submitting planning applications for a number of our access points off the highway into private land and four applications have been submitted within Peckforton Parish. The applications that we have submitted include three highway access applications along Peckforton Hall Lane and one along Stone House Lane, and we anticipate that you may hear about these applications from the local council within the next few weeks.

Prior to our main works in 2023, we will be carrying out some advanced works from September 2022. This will mainly involve preparing our new access points and carrying out some ecology surveys which will enable us to begin the main works from next year. The information on our virtual exhibition website is being updated in line with the most recent project progressions:, which we would encourage you to share with the local community.  The latest updates can be found in the Malpas to Tarporley section of our exhibition.

Should the Parish Council have any immediate questions regarding our programme please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team at the following address:,  and we will get back to you shortly.

Kind regards,

VAMP Stakeholder Team

Carly Briggs Performance co-ordinator intern Capital Delivery

Rural Crime Survey

The Police and Crime Commissioner has sent this :-

I wanted to get in touch to let you know that today I have launched a Rural Crime survey that will run throughout the summer.

Around two thirds of Cheshire is classed as rural, and I know from the contact I’ve had from residents and elected representatives across the county that rural crime can affect everyone. From theft of equipment and dangerous use of country roads to harming wildlife and anti-social behaviour, the scope and impact of rural crime is varied.

Through this survey I hope to build a better picture of how rural crime affects different communities across Cheshire. I want to understand what our Rural Crime Team does well and what good practice can be expanded further, and I want to know where the police approach can improve and which issues residents believe need a greater focus. People’s feedback will give me a greater insight into how I can hold the Chief Constable to account for how Cheshire Police prevents and tackles rural crime.

Rural crime has the potential to devastate livelihoods and wreck the scenic countryside we have on our doorstep. Whether we live or work in a rural area or visit there to enjoy one of Cheshire’s many natural beauty spots, I believe we all have a stake in ensuring our rural areas and communities are protected.

Please do share this survey so that residents can have their say:

New Chairman appointed

At the Parish Meeting held on 14th June 2022, John Doyle was elected as Chair of Peckforton Parish Meeting for the period up to the next Annual Parish Meeting, to be held in May 2023

Arup’s report about Beeston Stationis now complete and attached here fyi.

It is the initial business case and design options for the new station at Beeston. This was sent to Grant Shapps on 30th April along with a supporting letter from Edward Timpson and a covering letter from Mike Flynn, both summarising the findings that the business case is not only compelling, but in line with similar projects that have been previously approved and built.

Vyrnwy Aqueduct Maintenance Programme (VAMP)

United Utilities are taking feedback on the current proposals via their virtual public exhibition site at and they would like to encourage members of the public to take up that route if possible.

Letter of 8th March 2022 from Strutt and Parker about tree-felling plans in Peckforton

Stand with the refugees of the Ukraine.

The events in Ukraine will no doubt cause concern for many of our parishioners.

The people of Peckforton, when they see others in need, have always wanted to help out in any way they can.

As we want to show our support as a community, Peckforton Parish Meeting are going to coordinate a collection to support those who have been forced to flee from their homes.

Please see below the items being collected (we ask that it is these items only as no food items can be sent).

ITEMS NEEDED: foil survival blankets; toys; nappies; sanitary towels; first aid

kits; sleeping bags; metal cups, thermal clothing, hair brushes; shampoos;

toothbrushes; children’s clothes; bandages and non-perishable goods like rice.

Please contact Laurence Woodhouse, Chairman of Peckforton Parish Meeting either by phone on  07932 687474

or by email to either:- 

or via 

Laurence will be happy to receive any donations, which you can either drop off at his house, or which he will be pleased to collect as needed.

If you are able to support the refugees in any way, we know it would be very much appreciated by all of those that are suffering during this time, or If there are particular family circumstances that you think we should be aware of, please let us know and we will do all we can to support.

National Association of Local Councils – event on community safety
The National Association of Local Councils (NALC) has a new online event on working
together to make communities safer, taking place on 30 March 2022.
According to the Office of National Statistics, the pandemic affected crime patterns and
decreases across individual crimes such as theft offences were offset by rises in fraud and
computer misuse offences, resulting in no change in overall crime levels. According to recent
polling by IPSOS Mori, just 26% of the public say the government is doing a good job dealing
with crime.
So, how safe do communities feel? How are the Police and Crime Commissioners (PCC’s)
working with communities to reduce crime and improve community safety? What part can
local (parish and town) councils play using their existing powers and funding?
You will hear more about the role and work of the PCC’s and how they are working with local
councils and communities. The vital role police and crime panels play in scrutinising PCC’s,
their effectiveness, and their link to local councils, along with tips and good practice.
The expert panel features Cllr John Gili-Ross, chair of the National Police Fire and Crime
Panel and vice-chair of the Essex Association of Local Councils and Caroline Henry, police
and crime commissioner for Nottinghamshire.

Traffic Update – January 2022 – The report to Cheshire East, which was comissioned some time ago, but has only been received very recently about parking on the junction of Horsely Lane and Stonehouse Lane, is below

Cheshire Council have ordered the traffic counters which will be positioned as close as possible to the locations agreed and these will be installed late January / February for a week to avoid the effects of the new year and current covid spike.

Map from Cheshire East received with the report

Our Local police officers have new email addresses from Autumn 2021 – please see below for the link to their contact details

Here is the Parish Meeting’s response to Cheshire East’s Community Governance Review.

Please see below for an extract of the section of Cheshire East Council’s document that relates to Peckforton. For the full document, see Cheshire East’s website.

. Bulkeley and Ridley Parish Group and Peckforton Parish Meeting
Bulkeley and Ridley parish group consists of the two parishes of Bulkeley and Ridley. The parish of Peckforton currently does not
have a parish council and therefore has no councillors, with its representative body being the meeting of electors of the parish.
Peckforton’s electorate (123 in 2018) is below the legal minimum whereby it would qualify for a parish council in its own right.

Bulkeley and Ridley are two rural parishes with low numbers of electors. Cheshire East Council considers that the grouping
arrangement probably no longer serves any practical benefit to the parish council or to the community and electors.
Representations were received for Bulkeley and Ridley, supporting the previous request submitted to Cheshire East Council in
2017 to merge Bulkeley and Ridley under a single parish. No representations were received by Peckforton.
The electors of Bulkeley and Ridley vote together at Bickerton Village Hall and the electors of Peckforton vote at Peckforton Village
Given all these factors, Cheshire East Council recommends that Bulkeley, Peckforton and Ridley be merged into a single parish.
The new parish would have a projected electorate of 484 by 2025 (239 in Bulkeley, 127 in Peckforton and 118 in Ridley). Cheshire
East Council recommends a total of eight seats and no warding for the new parish. Eight seats is consistent with the national and
Cheshire East averages (shown in Table 3.2 of Section 3.2) for a council of this size.
The Borough Council is not proposing that the parish be divided into wards for the purposes of elections to the parish council.
Consultation responses that support a warding arrangement or that reject it should be mindful of the legal tests that apply for a
warding arrangement. Parish warding is appropriate where a single parish election might be impractical or inconvenient. This
cannot be wholly shown here, as the electors of two existing parishes all presently vote together at Bickerton, while the electors of
Peckforton vote at Peckforton. Furthermore, a warding arrangement should provide representation for the different communities
within a parish: is this one parish but comprising different communities? The Borough Council would want to be assured that this
test applies and evidence to show that the parish comprises separate communities should be provided. Finally, a warding
arrangement should be effective and convenient and not wasteful of a parish’s limited resources in the conduct of separate ward elections

Here is the letter written to Cheshire East by the Road Safety Group. The Parish Meeting is very grateful for Villagers’ input to this, without which it could not have happened. We are still chasing the Council and Officers for an outcome which the Road Safety group will report at future Parish meetings.

Photo Winners !!

Thank you so much for all the entries, the standard was superb, and many congratulations to all the winners below

– Paddy at the top of Peckforton Hill- looking West at the end of the day

 by Stuart Westwall

– Peckforton’s Elephant

by Debbie Sargent

– ‘Bruce’ an Aubrac cross with one of our Black and White MRI, which is why he has the darker colouring and he is adorable and cuddly

by Monica Capewell of Manor Farm

– Ellie in the garden at 9 Peckforton Hall Farm

by Andrea Percival

– Bug collecting with Rose (age 9) taken

by Sophie Walker (age 11) 

– Ama’s wysteria and my yew tree den

 by Tobias Griffiths-Maddocks (age 6)

– Far from the Maddening Crowd – Peckforton hay bales

by Hilary Watson

The prize is a bottle of Prosseco for adult winners.

The prize for under 18 winners is a waterproof mini camera and chocolates.

Jonathan Hurst of Chester Local Policing Unit has sent this poster for electors to use if they wish

Have your say in consultation on community governance

Cheshire East is urging people to have their say – and take part in a consultation on proposals for the governance arrangements for town and parish councils in the borough.

The 12-week consultation began on 6 September as part of a borough-wide review, as Cheshire East is responsible for the governance and electoral arrangements for the borough’s 186 town and parish council wards in 135 town and parish councils.

The review, which follows central government and Local Government Boundary Commission for England guidance, is to ensure that community governance arrangements ‘continue to reflect local identities and facilitate effective and convenient local government’.

As communities change over time, government guidance advises a review of town and parish governance every 10-15 years, to ensure the arrangements are fit for purpose. The last one was done before Cheshire East Council was created in 2009.

The review looks at a range of issues, including town and parish boundaries, numbers of town and parish councillors, grouping of parishes and warding.

The Community Governance Review draft recommendations report makes a series of draft proposals for consultation, beginning with parishes where no changes are being proposed, to other relatively minor proposals, and, finally, to more significant area or boundary changes – largely adjoining the borough’s urban parishes – which have a knock-on effect for surrounding parishes. Maps showing the details can be found via this link.

This consultation stage provides people and stakeholder bodies with an opportunity to make the case for alternative proposals or to endorse the draft proposals as they are.

Councillor Sam Corcoran, chair of Cheshire East’s corporate policy committee, and leader of the council, said: “Reviewing the community governance arrangements for all our town and parish councils is normal good practice and I would encourage people to take part in the online consultation and share their views on the proposals.

“The current governance arrangements date from before Cheshire East Council was formed and there has since been considerable change to our settlements, the population, and its distribution. This review and consultation on proposals offer an opportunity to ensure that town and parish arrangements meet local needs and are fit for purpose for the years ahead.”

A multi-disciplinary team of officers has been working on the review since 2019 and members of all the council’s political groups will be involved in making decisions on future governance arrangements of the town and parish councils.

Cheshire East undertook an initial pre-consultation survey between October 2019 and February 2020 on the scope of the review and topics and proposals that should be included. In June, a meeting of full council approved the decision to take proposals to consultation.

There will not be any change for change’s sake, and nothing is yet decided. Any changes to be made would follow reflection on the responses to this latest public consultation – including with town and parish councils and other stakeholders – and a decision by full council.

The public consultation, which ends at midnight on 28 November 2021, can be accessed via: 

Paper copies of the consultation can also be obtained from local libraries. People are urged to send in their completed paper forms as soon as possible. The aim is to complete the review process well before the scheduled local elections in May 2023.

This review of community governance does not include the electoral arrangements for borough council or parliamentary seats. These would be the responsibility of Whitehall (the Local Government Boundary Commission and the Boundary Commission for England, respectively) and are not currently proposed.

Maps showing proposed changes can be found via the following link and looking under additional documents ‘DraftRecs_maps’:

Cheshire East to launch ‘on demand’ rural bus service

Cheshire East is to launch an on-demand rural bus service – to help reduce isolation in some of the more remote parts of the borough.

The new ‘go-too’ pilot scheme will cover a wide area south of Nantwich, taking in Bunbury, Wrenbury and Audlem, as well as some other villages, where no commercial services are available.

The bus service will be booked using a mobile phone app or phone call, with a doorstep pick-up service for less mobile passengers. This allows a resident, or group of residents, to request a bus for a specific journey.

Two branded 16-seater ‘midi’ buses will be available between 7am and 9pm, Monday to Saturday, with low-floor access. A third vehicle may operate at peak times, subject to demand. The service is not tied to a fixed route, allowing for quick and efficient shared trips without lengthy detours or fixed schedules.

If the pilot service is successful, it could be rolled out to other parts of the borough.

Councillor Craig Browne, deputy leader and chair of highways and transport, said: “This is a really exciting and innovative pilot scheme that will make a remote area of our borough more accessible and reduce social isolation for local residents of all ages.

“The council continues to support the fixed-route bus network but we are aware that traditional services are not a convenient method of travel for all residents. This scheme helps address this problem.

“Unfortunately, commercial services are not able to make some rural routes cost-effective. A demand-responsive solution will help enable people of all ages to reach GP surgeries, attend hospital appointments, access further education and training or go shopping.

“This new bus service will help reduce car dependency and a sense of isolation, as well as contribute to the council’s own low-carbon aspirations. We will be monitoring this pilot carefully, as we are optimistic it could offer a way forward for the future of rural bus services in Cheshire East.”

This £1.25m, three-year pilot service has been funded by the Department for Transport’s Rural Mobility Fund.

The ‘go-too’ service starts at 1pm on Monday 4 October. Tickets for the bus service will be £3 for people aged 16 and over and £2 for under-16s and concessions. For every five journeys taken, users will get the sixth journey free.

Information on how to book the service and which areas are included etc, can be found on the council’s website at:

Fireworks at Peckforton Castle.

The team at Peckforton Castle have asked me to let you all know that there will be a 5-10 minute firework display at about 10:15 on 30th September. Please take any precautions that you need to with your pets. If you have any questions, please contact Lucy Knight at the Castle.

Call for help, plant donations and advice

You may recall that Peckforton Parish Meeting are hoping to create more obvious signs that make drivers more aware they are entering Peckforton, the first part of which is to make the “Peckforton” signs more obvious. (You may have noticed planting around some of the street signs near the church in Bunbury, and other sites.) 
This is a relatively easy improvement with high visual impact but a low physical impact, and it was decided it would be good to run with this as a starter for what may turn out to be a more ambitious project.
The first stage is to plant a small cultivated area (say 1.5 x 2m) around each of the “Peckforton” signs, on on Peckforton Hall Lane, one by the Pumping Station Cottages
We could really do with:-
1) offers of assistance for an hour or two next weekend (2nd and 3rd October), perhaps at about 10:00 at each site – we’d hope for working parties of 2 or 3 people at each site.
2) offers of plants and bark to put around the signs.
3) offers of use of a trailer and some tools – spades, strimmers, clippers and other things to cut away any excess foliage.
Laurence Woodhouse will coordinate this and plan the best way to deploy the volunteers. He will also be very happy to allow his house to act as a base for collection of any plants and bark that Peckfortonians can donate.

The trustees of Bunbury Parochial Charities (charity number 216368) invite applications for a limited number of grants, which will be awarded once a year in December, from residents and organisations of the following parishes:
Alpraham, Beeston, Bunbury, Burwardsley, Calveley, Haughton, Peckforton, Ridley, Spurstow, Tilstone Fearnall, Tiverton & Wardle.

See the full document by following this link.


The party that had been planned for next week has, with great regret, had to be cancelled.

Despite there being a lot of enthusiasm in the villages of Beeston and Peckforton for a party, not enough tickets have been sold to make the event viable.

Villagers and friends who have already bought tickets will receive full refunds as soon as possible.

Thank you so much to those members of the local community who had already either promised support for the party, or indeed have already devoted so much time and effort to organising the party so far.

Badger Sett – potential criminal activity – Update 1st August 2021

A parishioner has asked that the community be alerted that the badger sett in the woods by the Peckforton and Beeston Village Hall appears to have been tampered with. All three entrances seem to have been blocked. This is very unusual activity in the village and highlights the need to be extra vigilant.

If any parishioners have any further information, they may wish to contact the police, whose contact details can be found here :-

The Parish Sub-Group are requesting views from the residents of Peckforton Parish about speed limits in the Parish,

so please keep an eye out for a paper version with a pre-paid envelope for return, or for an email to which you can reply electronically.

Alternatively Click here for the letter

Please find below links to our News Archive